Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno is committed to assisting Muslim families at times of death, dying and burial by offering spiritual support and conducting the burial process. Our quality service and guidance make it possible for families to fulfill the religious duties of having a proper Islamic burial.
Our dedicated staff and volunteers perform all aspects the funeral and burial from preparing deceased for burial, prayer of the dead, burial and memorial services. All burial arrangements are conducted through direct consultation with the family and respecting the wishes of the deceased.
The services include the following:
- Ghusl: Our specially trained staff and volunteers oversee and conduct the preparation of the body for burial by performing Ghusl (washing and preparing the body) and Kafan (clothing) in accordance with Islamic guidelines. That includes washing and shrouding the deceased following the Islamic tradition. To maintain the modesty of the deceased we have same sex teams to prepare males and females.
- Janaza Prayers: The Center’s representative will lead the Janaza (funeral) prayer at the graveside.
- Selection of Grave: The Center’s representative will guide the family in the selection of the burial plot (grave) on or near the Islamic section at Clovis District Cemetery or Madera Islamic Cemetery. A family representative must be present during the selection process to sign the necessary documents for burial.
- Funeral Procession: The Center will present the family with the route of the funeral. All motorist following the Hearse MUST obey all traffic laws. The Hearse will transport the deceased from the Funeral Home to the Center for Janaza prayers and to the Clovis or Madera Cemetery or any other cemetery for burial.
- Burial: The Center currently buries at Clovis District Cemetery or Madera Islamic Cemetery. International and/or cross-state arrangement can be made as well.
- Memorial Service: The Center can be reserved (for a nominal fee) to hold a memorial service following the funeral and on the 40th day anniversary of the death.
Islamic Center Charges: (As of June 2020)
• Kafan: $100.00 just to cover expense
• Hall Rental for Memorial Service: $1200.00 (Optional)
Funeral Home Expenses:
Expenses vary according to the family wishes. The following are the basic costs and will increase based on the family’s choices.
- Transportation: $200.00 within Fresno/Clovis area. For out of town, please call us.
- Death Certificates: $17.00 each
- Mortuary Services: Estimate of $700 (Call for additional information)
- Casket: $600 (pressed wood), other kinds will result in extra cost. A casket is not mandatory at Madera Islamic Cemetery.
Cost varies based on the location. The cost below is an approximate estimate for charges at Madera Islamic Cemetery or Clovis District Cemetery. For out of town, out of state or international burials, please call the Islamic Center.
- Grave Site, digging / internment fees and maintenance is around $3200 at the Madera Islamic Cemetery. Other sites are different.
The family must provide the following as soon as possible:
- Select the Funeral Home: The family must sign the form to release of the deceased from the hospital or communicate with the Coroner and designate Clovis Funeral Chapel as the funeral home.
- When calling the Islamic Center, family should provide the location of the deceased (place of death).
- Provide personal records of the deceased including name, SS #, and all information needed to issue the death certificate and burial permit, etc. It is very important for the deceased’s relatives to obtain the attending physician’s signature on the death certificate as soon as possible following the death.
- The Center’s representative will guide the family in the the selection of the burial plot (grave) on or near the Islamic section at Clovis District Cemetery or Madera Islamic Cemetery. A family representative must be present during the selection process to sign the necessary documents for burial.
Funeral Home: The funeral home provides the following services:
- Transportation: As soon as death is announced, the funeral home will transport the deceased from the place of death (home or hospital) to the funeral home. We will come to your home within 1/2 hour. We will transport the deceased to the Islamic Center and to the cemetery
- Burial preparation services: That includes washing and shrouding the deceased following the Islamic tradition.
Emergency Contact: Contact the Director of the Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno ICCF at (559) 297-9535, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. You will be contacted immediately, so be prepared to give the name, address, date of birth and death, telephone and exact location of where the deceased is located.
Under normal death circumstances and during weekdays, burial can be done within 48 hours.
In cases where the death occurred due to self inflicted injury, homicide or accident that requires police investigation or the release of the body from the Coroner Office,
Without the proper documents, the Coroner Office in Fresno County may delay the release of the body and the burial plans will change accordingly. The Center has distributed recommendations to the area Coroner Offices to avoid an autopsy, according to Islamic tradition, in situations where it has been deemed unnecessary.
The Center will maintain direct communication with the family through all stages of the process.